The studies that are coming out on Bone Broth are nothing short of amazing to me. To make bone broth, well, it’s easy, but not quick. Bone broth is great for the joints. It is heavy in vitamins, minerals and most importantly to our joints…collagen.
I seem to remember grandma gnawing on the ends of chicken bones. She was actually eating the collagen. This is what our bodies need to heal the synovial fluid in the joints.
In the movement to get more nutritious foods for our bodies, bone broth is coming back. Studies show that the collagen is even more bioavailable than glucoseamine sulfate and chondrotin sulfate. Those used to be the gold standard in joint health.
So here is how to make it.
5 pounds of deer bones, joints, long bones, and a vertebra or two. Bones do not have to be clean of meat either.
2 carrots roughly chopped
2 leeks roughly chopped up to greens
2 onions quatered
4 quarts of filtered water
1 cup of apple cider vinegar
2 cloves of garlic
1) I set the girls to cracking the long bones to expose the marrow inside.
2) Warm up the grill and get it hot 450 degrees
3) Roast the bones for 45 minutes. Turn the bones and add half the veggies. Roast for another 20 minutes
4) Put bones in pot with 4 quarts of water and 1 cup of apple cider vinegar and let soak for 1 hour. Bones should be fully covered
5) Bring the bones and water just to a boil.
6) Transfer bone mixture to crockpot. Put the rest of veggies in with the bone mixture. Also add the garlic cloves.
7) Set the crock pot on low and let go for 48-72 hours. I let mine go for 60 hours. Skim the top of the mixture every 8 hours.
8) Remove bones and scoop out veggies with a slotted spoon leaving all the juice. Pour bone broth through a strainer and into quart jars leaving an inch in the top if you are going to freeze.
9) Freeze what you are not consuming
10) To warm up the mixture I put the frozen quart jar into he fridge over night. Then I place the quart jar in a small pan with a bit of water turn it on low and warm it up slowly.
11) Season how you like and add drink away.
Or go HERE and just order some 🙂